If you already have your own auto insurance, it’s likely that you’re also covered for rental cars. However, it’s a good idea to double-check with your insurance company that you’re covered for campers or RVs, as sometimes these types of recreational vehicles aren’t included in standard insurance.

If you do have insurance, we will collect your insurance info before you rent our van, in order to verify its validity. If you do not have your own auto insurance, or your insurance doesn’t cover campervans, try checking with your local insurance agent to see what the options are. Some coverage can be extended to include rentals and/or camper vans.

Your insurance will always be primary, whether it’s your own or temporary. If you do not have insurance and do not buy a temporary policy, you will be responsible to pay out-of-pocket for any damage and/or liability if you are involved in an accident while driving our vans. While we do not require you to have your own insurance to rent our vans, we do highly recommend purchasing a temporary policy if you don’t have one of your own.

Primary Policies

You have the option to purchase a primary policy along with your campervan rental when you book online. The policy includes liability coverage up to the Alaska state minimums or more, along with comprehensive and collision coverage at three different tiers. The cost per day varies depending on the level of coverage you choose. Please note that for all plans, a $500-1,000 deductible applies, except in the case of windshield repairs, which are covered without a deductible. (The deductible does apply to windshield replacement.)

The coverage is provided by Outdoorsy, an RV rental marketplace. Learn more about Outdoorsy’s insurance here. You must be at least 25 years old to purchase a primary insurance plan.

You’ll see something similar to this screen when you arrive at the proper step in the booking process:

Supplemental Insurance

We also offer additional insurance for peace of mind and cost savings should an accident or damages occur. Our additional insurance is optional, and can be purchased online, or at the time you pick up your travel van.

Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI)

The SLI is a supplement to your personal insurance, and protects you against third party claims if you injure another person or damage another person’s property while you are renting your travel van. Your personal policy, or the state minimum, will kick in first, and then the SLI will cover the difference up to $300,000.

Cost per day: $14